Kim Kardashian and her Psoriasis diagnosis. I am glad that Kim has shared openly about her recent psoriasis diagnoses. I hope that Kim finds some relief from her psoriasis symptoms. Her concern is really because how she makes her living her looks which is a fine way to make a living and she has the right to do so. Her Mother has the condition, she understands the affects of the psoriasis and how it can affect her life. I do have some understanding of her discomfort, because the love of my life has Psoriasis.
Last week, Sherri Shepherd from the talk show “The View” said openly she does not get what the big deal is psoriasis is like dandruff. I don’t normally comment on what is said by celebs. But Sherri Shepherd, you truly are ignorant on this subject and should have kept your mouth shut.
Psoriasis is an autoimmune disease . It is a disease that can be debilitating - psoriatic arthritis, is a disease that comes from Psoriasis along many other serious health conditions.
I have had the misfortune to see what the flake skin disease can do to a family. My husband has 90% coverage of Psoriasis and is inflicted with Psoriatic arthritis. We have heard many, many treatments over the years.
So Sherri here is your education on effect of this simple skin issue aka Psoriasis:
- When my husband could not move for 6 months- Sure it was a like dandruff.
- When my husband could not limb the stairs to come to bed and slept in recliner- Yea the white flakes were annoying
- When they gave a Handicap pass to a 38 year old man and he walked with a cane- A good loofah will scrub that away.
- When you take cancer medications and expose yourself to treatments that can give you skin cancer- Have you rubbed the diaper from a new born baby on the spots? (really)
- When I drag my husband off the toilet because he did not have the strength – Vaseline will clear that right up.
- When you husband asks you not to leave him alone with the kids because if something go wrong he might not be able to move to help. We changed our diet.
- When he lost 50lb in 5 months because it hurt to eat because of the pain- Have you drank the urine from a English donkey?
- When we got to the end of all experimental drugs and had an allergic reaction to the last one- Soak in vinegar then wrap in plastic wrap?
- When the drug to treat it cost $20,000 a month- Have you tried Lestoil cleaner on the spots I hear it helps cost $1.89?
- When I cried every day because I was not sure if I wanted to spend the rest of my life caring for an invalint at the age of 36-Calamine lotion take me away.
- When my son asked my husband when they can go camping or fish again..then he just stopped asking- Yea the mayonnaise is a great moisturizer.
- When you wake up with blood all over the sheets because he scratched himself raw in the middle of the night- Neutrogena t-gel with coal tar can help?
- When you think at the age of 21 that you should have a vasectomy so you do not want to pass the disease on to your future children- Have you tried fish oil?
- When my children wondered why Daddy could not hug them because he cant handle a squeeze- Just don’t wear black clothing people won’t notice.
- When you think you family will be better off without you when you are at your sickest- Because Head and Shoulders can fix it.
Believe it or not my husband has tried many of the suggestion above (I will leave you guessing) because when there is no cure, you do get desperate and what else are you going to do but laugh.
So I ask people to understand Psoriasis is Not contagious. There is no need to get out of the pool when some one with spots gets in.
Psoriasis is a disease that affects 7.5 million Americans of that 30% get psoriatic arthritis (2.5 million Americans) , there is no cure, just treatment, and affects my family.
My response to Sherri Shepherd:
So NO Psoriasis is not just dandruff.
To get more Information about Psoriasis check out the National Psoriasis Foundation