How to Fix Fitted sheets to stay in place DIY

by superexhausted on October 25, 2011

pulling a fitt sheet on to a bed

How to fix fitted sheet to stay in place Problem Fitted sheets do not stay put  So I have a high mattress 17 inches+ with the foam pad 19″ .  I tryed the fitted sheet stay put things but they don’t stay.  You know that deep pocketed fitted sheets cost a fortune and we  seem to go through fitted sheets quickly.  I make sure my fitted sheets stay in place on my high bed. I try jersey fitted sheets which have more give then woven sheets.  This diy fix for fitted sheets  would work on woven sheets as well.    I sew elastic to the corners to keep they sheets in place.. here is how to do it.

How to fix fitted sheet to stay in place

What you need Fix your Fitted Sheets:

• 1-  fitted sheet
  • 1 1/2 to 2 yards of 3/4 to 1″ elastic (if you can find prepackaged or buy it buy the yard
  1. Cut the elastic in 12″ -14″ pieces sewing elastic on to fitted sheet conners
  2. At each corner of the fitted sheet where there is the seam sew the elastic across . sewing elastic on to fitted sheet conners
  3. Be sure to go backwards and forward many times one stitch will not hold over time and might rip your fitted sheet I do a zig zag pattern so as spread the force over about and inch area- to reduce the stain on the fitted sheet. sewing elastic on to fitted sheet conners
  4. Attach one side then the other repeat till all 4 corners of the fitted sheet have elastic. elastic on fitted sheet conners
  5. Put the fitted sheet on bed and make the elastic go under the corner. elastic on to fitted sheet conners pulling over matress
  6. Now your fitted sheets will stay put even on a high mattress.

Have a good nights sleep

Check out My other Popular Posts :

How to Repaint a Front Door

How To Make Natural Bug Repellent

Easy Beginners Baked Chicken 3 steps

Easy Seafood Chowder that will disappear at any Potluck

Making American Girl Doll clothes w/ free Patterns

Get top beauty brands delivered to your door every month with Beauty Box 5. Click Here!

{ 10 comments… read them below or add one }

Tammy Lathrop June 5, 2012 at 1:32 pm

Thank you,I did the the fitted sheet and it really works now it stays in place all night long.

superexhausted June 11, 2012 at 10:43 am

I am so glad I find if I dont do it when I 1st buy the sheets I will never enjoy them.. I hate sheets that move.

LoonJ June 17, 2013 at 9:08 am

Thank you – I did this on our extra thick latex topped King mattress & it really worked!! 3 nights in a row with hubby, baby & me in the bed & they’re still in place, nice & tight – AWESOME!!!!

sherry June 17, 2013 at 11:45 am

I am so glad I provided a solution for you. I do it on all our sheets. Sleep well and thanks for stopping by

Gina August 31, 2013 at 3:33 pm

Amazing! One of those duh moments but I don’t mind giving someone else the credit! I made the elastic longer and spaced further from the corners because I needed it for a 32 in’ blow up bed for our company. .. worked like a dream!

jenny fiori September 23, 2013 at 1:15 pm

I might try this as my fitted sheets are split in the middle! I don’t have a sewing machine though.. I guess I could use a needle and thread, right?

superexhausted September 23, 2013 at 4:15 pm

Jenny- Split in the middle like a King size bed? You could use a hand needle and thread, doubling the thread. I would do a “X” pattern and secure it each directions on the X at least 8 times. A straight running stick (straight line) might cause the fabric to rip at the point of stress.

Laura October 3, 2013 at 11:44 am

I am SO doing this to my sheets. I recently got a foam mattress topper which makes it difficult for my sheets to stay on. Thank you!

Susan February 3, 2014 at 6:32 pm

This is so clever! I must do this to my son’s sheets. Without fail his fitted sheet comes off every night.

witoldyna May 16, 2014 at 2:48 pm

Great idea! Every night I need to fight with our fitted sheet (or just scream to my husband “can you repair the bed?” ;-) ). It will be my weekend project as soon as I find the elastic :-) Thank you!