So I got to go to a lunch with Vicks and author / Dr. Meg Meeker. It was a great learning experience, I wish she was my kids pediatrician . Currently for the last 4 years my kids have not gotten sick but they will it is only a matter of time. My kids were very sick little kids. My son a daycare kid until the age of 4 was sick all the time. Like many working parents thee is a level which a sick kid will head to day care.. runny nose acceptable.. fever not acceptable. Cough at night acceptable. It is struggle and choice every working parent fights with.
With my daughter I was home. So was she for weeks and weeks did she miss day care when she got the flu. Then the Rotavirus is the most common cause of severe diarrhea among infants and young children. I was so tired during that rota period running a business and dealing with a nonstop laundry sheet and diaper change.
So during the lunch with Dr. Meg Meeker I learned a few things:
- Know your kids normal temp.. track it see what it is in the morning, after noon and night
- Having a certain level of humidity (moisture) in your house helps to avoid the flu
- if you suspect the flu if you head to your Doctor with in the first 24 hours they can give you/kids a shot to shorten the length of the flu
- Try a children’s Tylenol or children’s Advil on your child to reduce fever, some fever need to run there course to help fight the infection.
- Call your doctor for high fever over 101
- Follow your gut Mother intuition is one of the best line of defense when dealing with a child’s illness.
Some products I learned about from vicks to make Flu Season easier.
Try a humidifier like Vicks Germ Free Humidifier to avoid dry air in your home. The V790N Vicks® Warm Mist GermFree Humidifier kills 99.999% of germs, bacteria, and mold in the water before its warm mist ever touches the air.
The V980 Vicks® Behind Ear Gentle Touch Thermometer with Fever InSight™ Feature is gentle enough for a sleeping baby and is clinically proven accurate at detecting fever with instant one-second readings.
The Vicks humidity monitor is awesome. I knew the humidity in my house was too dry and the vicks monitor let me know how bad it was. I added the Humidifier and correct the issue. I feel so much better i know what I can control and avoid the flu.
To learn more check out behindear.com
Also Vicks will donate For each share of our “What will you share this cold and flu season?” video, Vicks will donate a Behind Ear Thermometer to Baby Buggy, a non-profit dedicated to providing U.S. families in need with essential items for their children. Here is a link to the video on our Facebook page
Disclosure: I did receive products from Vicks, Dr. Megs Book and Lunch at Plate. My opinions and writing in this post are all of my own.