So when I camp I have certain staples I go to. Hamburgers, Hot dogs, Pancakes, Sausage, Pulled Pork and Mac N cheese. Really. I like to enjoy my self and relax while camping so i like meals that make them selves. To start great camping is in the prep.
- crock pot
- crock pot liner
- grill tools (long handed)
- tin foil
- hot sauce
- sugar and sugar substitute (coffee)
- Mustard, ketchup, mayo
- Tuna fish ( lunch) and does not need to be refrigerated
- pop tarts (junk food every once in a while plus helps keeps the kids feed while packing up.
- bowls, plated, napkins, utensils
10 great food Camping Foods
- Hamburgers buy them frozen- eat as defrost
- Chicken Bag of frozen chicken bottle of Good Seasons Salad Dressing- pour entire bottle over chicken set in cooler let marinate for a day or so chicken will defrost- cook on fire or grill.
- Potatoes (whole) Rub with salt wrap in tin foil (2-3 times) and put in coals of fire takes 1-2 hours to cook.
- Corn on the cob.. Bring a large bucket line with a garbage bag and put in unshucked corn fill with water till corn is covered with water. Corn floats so twist bag closed and weight down with a rock- soak for several hours till corn and husks are soaked. cook on open fire (with a grate) husk and all – husks will get burned but corn is steaming and getting yummy on inside peal and eat. Roasted corn
- Lobster- stab in head with knife and split tails cook on open flame
- Bacon- bacon does not have to be cooked on slice at a time throw the whole pound in the pan /griddle and just move the slices around until entire lb is cooked
- Pancakes Buy the water only instant kind
- Bottled water- some time the tab is not portable
- Pulled pork season pork before you go, you can brown it or not brown in cook it in a crock pot all day and it is ready when your happy campers come back to the site.
- Mac and Cheese- This is a recipe below that I highly recommend bringing put the ingredients in a crock pot and let it cook all afternoon kids will not have to wait for a fire to be built.
Crock Pot Mac and Cheese
- 1-2 lb elbow macaroni noodles- cook at home and put in zip lock
- 4 cups of cheese or more
- 2-3 tbls of Louisiana style hot sauce
- salt pepper
- onion grated
- 1 stick of butter cut up
- 2 cans of evaporated milk
- 1 cup of milk(more if needed)
- 1 egg
- 1 crock pot liner (Reynolds makes them) Make clean up easy
Line crock pot with lined , add noodles, add all other ingredients, stir, cover cook for 4-5hours on low. (can be ready before check. for quick leave off egg)
There are many other camping ideas to cooks with .. you can actually make a cake in a crock pot while camping I have done it and that is a different post.