Making American Girl Doll Clothes

by superexhausted on March 20, 2013

American girl doll Making American Girl Clothes: As a girl as soon as I could sew I made doll clothes.   So I am loving making American  Girl doll clothes for my daughter.  American Girl doll clothes are great you can use the scraps of fabric you have in your fabric piles.  I found this fabric in my stash even the fur.   This is what I created for my daughters Marie Grace American Doll. I also made a matching outfit for the girl next door American Girl doll.  So their dolls can be twins.

american girl

I made my patterns but there are some great online pattern for American Girl clothes.  Some are Free

Places that offer free or purchase Patterns for you to make American Girl Doll clothes

Also me sure to check out my 18″ doll and American Girl Pintrest board for some great American Girl clothes I found on the web.

I Purchased this Sweater set from an Etsy Seller HeavenSentHandmade. so you can always buy some American girl clothes.   Be sure to follow my blog for great new places to buy AG clothes. knit sweater for american girl So what clothes are you going to try to make?

{ 41 comments… read them below or add one }

Monica March 20, 2013 at 6:33 am

We haven’t yet entered the American Doll girl phase (the cost freaks me out!). Your outfits are adorable (complete with fur!) – and thanks for including places to find patterns.

Sherry March 20, 2013 at 6:54 am

Monica. I really held firm to the recommend age of 8 she was 7 3/4 because of the cost of the dolls I really wanted her to take care of them, dress them independently, and be able to read the American Girl books. My Daughter was a naked barbie on the floor girl until recently. She got the doll pictured for Christmas and her hair is still braided in the same braid she came in (4 months later). So I would hold off if you can. That is what worked best for our family. Some girls can have them earlier and be great with them, I knew my daughter need the time. You are going to have a Blast making the clothes when the time comes.

Carrie March 20, 2013 at 7:24 am

My mother-in-law bought my four year old two AG dolls, and so far she’s not interested… but I bet in a few years she’s going to love them as much as I loved my dolls. I used to make clothes for my dolls as well, but never as beautifully as you can make them! I’d love to have your sewing skills! Thanks for sharing, I’m looking forward to the day my daughter and I can make some clothes together. :)

Steph March 20, 2013 at 8:12 am

I so wish I knew how to sew! My nieces would think I was the coolest Aunt ever if I could make them custom clothes for their dolls!

sherry March 20, 2013 at 10:24 pm

I think sewing is like driving a car. you can do it..Steph, start with shorts for the boys.

Cinnamon - Liberty Jane March 20, 2013 at 9:23 am

Thanks so much for including Liberty Jane in your post! I totally agree, American Girl Doll clothes are fun & easy to make and a great way to teach your daughter to sew at the same time :)

sherry March 20, 2013 at 10:25 pm

My daughter is starting sewing with Pillow cases I was 7 when I started. Love your Liberty patterns.

Heather S. March 20, 2013 at 9:51 am

What an awesome post – I am saving under my Someday Maybe Pinterest board where I post all the girl ideas I love (I live in a household of boys!).

Gina B March 20, 2013 at 9:57 am

Now this is a great idea to save money! We don’t have an American Girl doll yet, my little one has been loading up the commercials for another brand, but I really want one!!

sherry March 20, 2013 at 10:28 pm

I have to say I find myself make sure the hair is smoothed out. I think I am enjoying the dolls as much as her. I hope your daughters get in to them shortly, so you can have fun.

Sarah Hughes March 20, 2013 at 10:48 am

THANK YOU!!! Bookmarking now for when my daughter starts with American Girl dolls. I better dig out my sewing machine!!

sherry March 20, 2013 at 10:31 pm

Sarah, they are so fun to make. I was glad she is finally old enough.

Susan March 20, 2013 at 11:39 am

My daughter would love these clothes for her doll, and I would love to make a jacket. so cute!

Lauryn March 20, 2013 at 1:22 pm

These are AWESOME Sherry! Pinned it so that I can come back to it as soon as I put the knitting needles away for winter and dust off the sewing machine for summer:)

sherry March 20, 2013 at 10:30 pm

I love knitting in the summer I know odd. I love to sit and knit when we camp in the woods. It is relaxing. Have fun sewing.

Rajean March 22, 2013 at 2:48 pm

Sewing is a lost art form, I think and it seems knitting and crocheting is making a big come back. All have passed me by but I admire all of your who do it! I think the outfits you show are adorable and I like having unique options.

Lolli @ Better in Bulk March 22, 2013 at 4:10 pm

You know, I tried to get my youngest daughter into American Girl dolls and she never liked them. :( However, maybe I’ll have a grand daughter someday who I can crochet some clothes for. Ha!

superexhausted March 25, 2013 at 10:51 pm

Awe so sad for you they are fun and quick to make for… my daughter just discovered them at 8 she was never into them before,
Lolli- Oh crochet can you teach me? I never got the hang of it, I can only knit. Tackling crochet is a life list for me.

Elizabeth March 23, 2013 at 10:24 am

Adorable! I can not wait for this phase!

superexhausted March 25, 2013 at 10:52 pm

It is a great phase love it.

Catherine March 25, 2013 at 2:01 pm

Luckily Maddy doesn’t have any American Girl dolls because I can’t sew a straight line.

superexhausted March 25, 2013 at 10:44 pm

If I lived next store I could sew and you can make bread.

Pam March 28, 2013 at 7:30 am

I have sewn a few outfits for my daughter’s American Girl doll. I find it to be difficult, however, because of the small scale of the garment. I have just a basic sewing machine. Do you use any special attachments on your machine, or do you use a certain type of sewing machine just for the doll clothes? Do you have any suggestions for making this process easier? I would love to make more clothes for my daughter’s doll.

sherry March 29, 2013 at 12:23 am

I use a single needle machine so similar to yours. I dont use any special foot. It is tight when you do the long sleeves. Also this past weekend I designed and made 11 dresses as a favors for my daughters birthday. Because of the small peices I was feeling the Carpal tunnel in my wrist. I know I will never make and sell Ag clothes, too hard on my hands.

I tried to do as much finishing and hems with the side seams open. then closed the under arms after I turned the hems, I was not concerned it the underarm seams met.

Nicole Elliott March 28, 2013 at 10:05 pm

Wow you are so talented!! I’m hopeless at sewing but I so admire those who are can!! :) What a great way to save a bundle of money as well!

Jennifer April 15, 2013 at 8:09 pm

My daughter is getting the Kit doll for her 6th birthday in a few weeks. I didn’t know anything about American Girl dolls until about 2 years ago. Shortly after I heard about them (a friend’s daughter started getting into them), a received a box full of random books from a friend and the first Kit book (the character that lives during the great depression) was in the box. My daughter and I read through the book in a week (1 chapter a night) and she LOVED the book. I didn’t mention the dolls at all, but she had been begging for the rest of the book series…..and then one day someone gave her an AG catalog. She was speechless. She found the Kit doll quickly (she’s an early reader) and has been asking for a Kit doll for over a year now. She takes care of dolls, so I wasn’t worried about the age recommendation, but I wanted to wait until she turned 6 just because of the price. We went to a couple of American Girl doll bingo fundraisers in hopes of winning a doll, but other little girls were the lucky ones those days. :) I just ordered my daughter’s first AG doll last night (so that I could make sure anything I make for the doll will fit right) and I’ve been pinning free patterns like crazy. Thank you soo much for this wonderful post!!!

My first AG project will be a quilt to fit the bed that a family friend is buying for the Kit doll (it’s coming from AC Moore). We are going to be making a mattress and bed sheets for the bed as well.

sherry October 27, 2013 at 5:40 pm

How did your American girl project turn out did the sheets and quilt turn out well?

Katie July 16, 2013 at 4:59 pm

I have two 9.5 year old granddaughters ( not twins – they are 3 months apart in age) who both got AG dolls from us ( grandparents) around the same time. I went on Ebay to see if I could buy some reasonably priced doll clothes when I discovered patterns for sale on Ebay and when I saw that – I knew I could make doll clothes. I’ve been sewing for 50 years on and off. Well I got a couple patterns and went to work and before I knew it I had 12 outfits made and my hubby got them mailed off to the girls and I think I am grandma of the month right now!! They loved the wardrobes. This has mushroomed – as often things like this do. My neighbor sells home sewn items at craft shows locally and she suggested I make more to sell at some of her shows. Next one is October, so I better get busy. I still work full time, so only have weekends to get this done, but it’s a labor of love and I am as relaxed as can be at the sewing machine. To make icing on the cake – my hubby insisted I buy a new sewing machine. I had a hard time parting with my Bernina 1230 but I am now the proud owner of a Bernina 750 quilting and embroidery machine that is one of the finest machines I have ever worked on. Bless his heart for insisting. My imagination runs amuck when I think about all the embroidery I can add to the doll clothes for a custom embellishment. Now I wish I was closer to retirement but I know the machine and the excitement will still be there when I do retire next year. I love the AG doll clothes. So much easier than sewing or Barbies. I also purchased a Madam Alexander doll at Wal mart to use as a sample to try on the clothes. the doll was not as expensive as the AG and I just needed a way to try the clothes on for fit before I send them off to the girls.
katie

Mayu Izumo July 20, 2013 at 9:01 am

Love it! Please show us your video’s!!!!!!

dolllady September 22, 2013 at 8:12 pm

Hi, just read this. I am sure you have found out that the Madam Alex doll is slimmer than the AG dolls. If I use AG patterns have to make them smaller, not a problem, but things made to fit MA doll are to little for AG dolls.

superexhausted September 25, 2013 at 10:56 am

Yes I did notice the Madam Alexander dolls are smaller. thanks for pointing that out.

Mary September 24, 2013 at 10:22 pm

Do you if there are any patterns for karate. My grand daughter is doing that and I would like to make one for her doll.

superexhausted September 25, 2013 at 10:59 am

Hi Mary I did a search on ebay looked under America Girl Karate Pattern this was as of to day 9/24 it is a 6 day listing for the link below .. or just search “America Girl Karate Pattern” in ebay search bar

Katie October 27, 2013 at 11:37 am

Love to join your blog. These clothes are crazy expensive at the store. Do you have pattern suggestions for matching outfits for girls and doll?

sherry October 27, 2013 at 5:39 pm

Hi Katie,
You just sign up above to my mailing list and you will get updates on all my blog posts. I try to do an American girl post every month or so.

Be sure to check out my American Girl Birthday Party post from a few weeks back.

Also follow along my American Girl Pinterest Board on Pinterest.. for others peoples great American Girl ideas

Thank you for taking the time to comment.

SGM October 29, 2013 at 3:49 pm

Any ideas for outfits for Saige? She’s the AG Doll of the year and is from New Mexico!

SATASIA January 2, 2014 at 9:41 pm

i LOVE that. I wish can do that :(

Betty January 18, 2014 at 12:34 pm

I just wanted to thank you for the links to the free patterns, I just started making doll clothes for my granddaughters and I am having fun with them as they pick out different outfits to create together and I always like a free pattern, purchasing them can become quite expensive with as many outfits as they seem to “need”.
thanks

superexhausted January 22, 2014 at 12:33 am

Have fun making clothes. so happy to hear my pattern post is helping you connect to your creative side and American girl dolls.

De'Mariya May 15, 2014 at 10:35 am

this is amazing to look off of thank you for helping me fina a facts your amazing

De'Mariya May 15, 2014 at 10:35 am

this is amazing to look off of thank you for helping me find facts your amazing