Photography Tips: Yesterday I attended the Samsung TheNextBigThing event at Samsung Galaxy Studio Soho NYC Pop up shop. It was a great event we were able to check out the new products that Samsung has available this holiday season. Check out the video at the end of my post for Samsung PopUp Shop experience. During the event we got to listen to National Geographic Photographer Ira Block. Ira has been using and taking some amazing photography with the Samsung S4 Zoom, which he used during his presentation. He was also gracious enough to share his tips for getting those amazing pictures. Ira said it is all about the “moments” you capture that make the shot beautiful. I really want to focus on this more in my own photography so I am taking many of his tips to heart.
Ira Block’s Photography Tips for getting that Great Photography:
General Photo Tips :
- Have a camera.. a Phone /Camera like the S4 is a great option
- Don’t look at pictures while taking photos .. just shoot.. if you look you might miss the moment missing moments.
- Many angles
- Don’t point and shoot .. think about the shot and decide where to shoot
- Choosing Moment capture
- Really Interesting light
- Take Many photos do not look while you are shooting.. dont be afraid to take 20-30 shots (my tip if camera is set up correctly.. make sure exposure is not messed up prior to shooting )
Travel Photography Tips:
- Fore ground to give dimension.. so remember to focus on one point.. if you have no fore ground the picture will no have the details you want.
- Put people in your architecture shots, it add an interest and a moment in time reference.
- Do buy a flexible small tripod that you can throw in a bag to stead a shot when needed
Portraits Photography Tips:
- Don’t take a direct sun
- Do backlight- turn on a light behind the subject
- Look at background.. make sure it does not distract from photo
- Think background first and then the person
- Shadows are good they make people look 3 dimensional and less flat, so avoid direct light shots and take from angles
- Consider an Portable LED Light.. to add extra light to a portrait. Get one that is in the $100 range
- Props are great for kids because it keeps them focused .. not every shot requires direct eye contact.
- When taking large groups.. take many shots.. hen you can choose the best
Holiday Light Photography:
- Turn on the lights do not take pictures in complete darkness
Get the kids involved in Photography:
- Give ten kids a project.. like go take pictures of mailboxes.. for fall leaves
- Do give your old kids a camera and start to teach them about composition and what make a good picture.
While at the Pop Shop we also heard Chef Justin Warner, that is he and I below. You might recognize him from The Next Food Networks Star.. he won his season and he has great hair. Justin talked about the Galaxy Note and how it makes life easier as a chef. I loved learning about the new products at Samsung. They seem like a great option for a photo and camera combo. I was able to take a few moments to experience the Samsung S4 Zoom . I cant speak to a full review on the quality but I found it easy to find the functions and it has some cool features. Like a voice activated picture function.
- 13 pixel
- touch focus
The Samsung Galaxy Studio is really fun place to visit and experience the Samsung Galaxy Products. When you enter, the shop pick up a card from the Conceriage desk. Then have it scanned at each station for points .. then when you leave redeem the points for a gift from Samsung. Stations Include:
- Coffee and Sprinkles cupcake station you order on tablets and they make it for you.
- Cafe : They also have different custom food experiences every day. Justin Warner was Making Gourmet French fries the day I visited, yummy truffle fries.
- Design Station: Also you can create in the Design Studio area.. I made an ornament, but I could have made a tee shirt.
- Entertainment Area.. was a chill out lounge, where visitors learned about controlling your TV from a Samsung Phone, which I thought was cool because my daughter always looses the remote.
- Accessory station/lounge where they would show you how to style jewelry and accessory so they look great with the Samsung – Galaxy Gear Smart Watch for Galaxy Note . The accessory were from Piperlime.com
Watch my video for a view on inside the Samsung Galaxy Studio.
Disclosure: I received a very nice lunch during the event and I made an ornament. The opinions in this post are my own.